The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Thursday, December 2, 2010

candlelight and waterfalls

sunrise:  6:54          blog time remaining:  29 sunrises

It is a gray, rainy December 2nd in central Maine.  It rained all night, with some strong winds early on that took the power out in our whole neighborhood rather dramatically.  Flicker, surge, flash, flicker, gone.  The upside is a good night's sleep.  J and I lit a couple of candles, looked around, and thought well, may as well go to bed.  It's amazing how the presence of computer and television screens keeps us up at night.

It wasn't nearly as tough as the power out days on Sutton Island in October.  This time, power was restored in about one hour, not 48.  My sentiments about the hidden blessings of disconnection have not changed.



I walked to the back of the field in a light drizzle this morning, thinking it would be an abbreviated outing with little in the way of photo ops.  Then the siren call of the rushing waters of Reeds Brook called out to me - swollen and roaring with last night's rain.

The banks are steep and slippery, my boots were too big, but I managed to get down by the water.  I love to just sit there and watch the show and listen to the symphony - both ever-changing and beautiful.  I should remind myself whenever I get feeling out of sorts to go out there and just sit quietly by the brook.




















After this morning's sensory therapy and last night's candlelight reading in bed, I am feeling pretty peaceful.

*************

A joyous festival of light to all those celebrating Hanukkah!

No comments:

Post a Comment