The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

what's the big idea?

As I skied around our big backyard with three dogs on this snowy afternoon, the seed of an idea came to me. What if I make a pledge to be outdoors during the first light of day, every day for a full year, and write about it in my first blog?

This could serve several purposes:

1. My mother-in-law, widowed 3 years ago, has a sign on her bedroom wall: "Get up. Get dressed. And get going!" I think so many people face times in their lives when they find it difficult even to bother actively meeting the day. It is not always acute trauma that drags people down. There are many kinds of loss -- death, divorce, departures, dismissals -- all of which have the potential to create a kind of paralysis of will. And there are periods where there is no change, or promise of change; there may only be a general sense of aimlessness that saps the will to engage in life. It is my hope that other people who have experienced some form of apathy or despair might find a spark of inspiration in my experiment, and be encouraged to get up, get dressed, and get going.

2. Since I was a very small child I have known the transcendent power of the natural world. I spent hours outside when I was small, weeks in the mountains when I was young, but all too little time as an adult. Even a 10 minute walk in my back yard changes my outlook on the world and on my own life. Call this a new year's resolution to reconnect with that exterior world that offers so much peace and perspective. Plus, I have an amazingly beautiful, 13 acre back yard, and should see more of it.

3. I am a mother of four facing an empty nest in the year that's about to begin, 2010. Having been primarily a full time mother for 23 years, the daily reflection may be a helpful tool for finding my path into this new chapter of life.

4. In spite of several good publications and a book in progress, my career as a writer is still more of a concept than a consistent reality. Here is a challenge that impels me to write every day.

5. I am NOT an early bird. But - having arrived outdoors in the earliest hours of morning, I have never regretted it. This will be a huge challenge, but I have a competitive nature, and maybe I can succeed!

6. My dogs will love me!

No comments:

Post a Comment