The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

power out

October 17 post

sunrise:  6:50



We arrived to a powerless house on Sutton Island.  The storm that stopped all the ferries on Friday did its damage, and apparently power lines were down all over the area.  No one, howeer, was on Sutton before us.  So our Saturday call to Bangor Hydro came late in the game.




"I can tell you I'll try to get there tomorrow," said the service guy, "but I'd be lying if I said it was likely.  It'll probably be Monday."



Our Montanan guests are a game bunch, and they opted to stay, power notwithstanding.



So we felt a bit like the occupants of little house on the prairie last night -- adapting, gathering water by hand (from the water lines that run through the woods), figuring out how to cook in the fireplace.


When we were sitting at the dinner table, drinking wine, eating a hot beef stew (reheated in a cast iron pan that sat on a grill propped over 2 huge slabs of granite that J found outside), buttering our fire-toasted bread, eating a huge salad, we were feeling pretty fine.  Who needs electricity?

Well.  I confess, I wouldn't want to keep it up for long.



J and I are up early today - fire crackling.  We're about to gather more water, then brew coffee.  Luckily, it's cold enough so that most of our food should stay edible without refrigeration.  the ice cream sandwiches have seen better days.








I will be happy for running water, hand washing, and refrigeration when they return, but when five of us sat around a toasty warm fire last night, telling stories and singing old remembered songs by candle and firelight, life felt pretty good.



No comments:

Post a Comment