The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Sunday, December 5, 2010

worker of the year award

sunrise:  6:57        blog time remaining:  26 days



Last night one of my kids called with a question about my infancy.  How did I get my nickname when I was just a few days old?  Of course the only information I have came from my own parents.  My memory is pretty good, but doesn't go quite that far back. 

Having just watched "Toy Story 3" (FANTASTIC movie!), I had just been mulling over the passage of time and kids growing up.  As I lay in bed, in one of those moments quiet enough so you become conscious of things like your own heartbeat, I thought about my infant self.  Here I am now, feeling my heart beat away, the same one that used to be a baby heart in that infant of 50 years ago.  Beat, beat, beat, steady onward, never stopping to rest, even for a second, for all those years. 

Yesterday I interviewed an 83-year-old woman for my column for the paper.  There she is with the same heart that beat in a baby long ago, and in a little girl who learned to sew when she was 2 years old, then grew and had children, and grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and moved into a care facility.  Still beating.

That's a lot of work.  Kind of amazing.

Let's give eternal honor to the beating of our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment