The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

back on skis - round and round

sunrise:  7:00        blog time remaining:  23 days



My husband is a dyed-in-the-wool downhill skier from as far back as he can remember.  I like downhill too, but I love cross-country skiing.  I think I love peace more than speed and adrenaline, now that I'm older.  That's the difference.

There is something particularly striking about being back out in my back yard on skis.  My first post of 2010 was "off and skiing," and I remember it well.  Here I am, come almost full circle.  That is one of the more reassuring parts of coming to the end of this blog project.  There is really no "end."  I am back where I began, back at a new place of potential beginning.

The selection of Jan. 1, in the middle of winter, is just an arbitrary day in the cycle of the solar year, a cycle which will carry on far beyond human days (or else end along with human days).  For the purposes of measurement during our lifetimes, and some historical perspective for those who are around, it's a useful construct.  But it is a kind of illusion of momentousness that is only in our heads.

The solar year, the lunar year, biological life cycles, the rotations of galaxies -  round and round and round she goes. 

When we're born, we just step into the circular stream for our round. 


No comments:

Post a Comment