The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Friday, December 17, 2010

for kids from 1 to 92

sunrise:  7:07          blog time remaining:  14 days



For about 5 years now I have been playing the piano for the local pre-school's Christmas party.  Parents and grandparents and siblings come.  The children present some songs they prepared and gifts they made.  Santa arrives as a surprise guest, and there is lots of singing.  The excitement and purity of emotion in those little people always makes me smile.


Having just played holiday songs and carols for an assisted living center in town, I am feeling grateful for the privilege to be part of a thread that connects these two ends of the spectrum of living.  As long as I have a keyboard and some music with me (I envy those who can just sit down and play out of their heads!), I can make an offering that is well received by 2 years olds and 92 year olds.



It is kind of amazing how music transforms the atmosphere.  Have you ever been in a room full of people, and suddenly music begins?  There is almost a visible settling of everyone's bodies into a new position - a relaxed, or listening, or relieved new position.  And when people sing together it creates a connection between them - they smile, they feel, they join together.

I wish to everyone during this holiday season some moments in good company, wrapped together by music and song.

No comments:

Post a Comment