The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Thursday, December 16, 2010

holidays at the post office

sunrise:  7:06          blog time remaining:  15 days

*******
The temperature was in the 50's 3 days ago.  Today we're back in the single digits.

*******


In uncharacteristic fashion, I mailed all of our Christmas packages out yesterday.  I am usually much closer to the wire, or I don't make it at all.  This year I am going out of town for almost a week just before Christmas, so I have been driven to be more proactive about the holidays than the norm.



I was thinking about how cool it is to live in a town where I am on a first name basis with the guy at the post office counter.  Our little post office is a friendly place, and on days that I don't see anyone in line that I know, I generally see other people running into their friends while they're there.*



 It may be a headache for postal workers taking in all the extra work, but they don't seem to show it.  Mostly, the chat and banter seem pretty happy.  People tend to be there to send happy things to people they love, after all.  A neighbor I had told me how much she liked working in a Hallmark store for that very reason - people go there for warm reasons, whether sorrowing, loving, or celebrating.  So the clientele are generally filled with goodness.



It's a good thing to keep in mind as you consider where you send out your job applications.



*note triple use of homophonic "theres" - a little display for my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment