The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

tree silhouettes

sunrise:  6:11

I'm catching up a bit on sleep, trying to be in good form for the district show choir competition that I'm playing for tomorrow.  I apologize to all for my descent into melodrama yesterday; it was all I could come up with in the moment.

The dogs were crazed over some scent all over the back field today - must have been some kind of forest animal jubilee out there last night.  Even Kate left her stick for a few seconds to sniff around, overcome by the traces of whatever it was.

And bird songs are getting more and more varied.  I don't know if it's a lot of new birds, or just the mating songs beginning, but it's quite lovely.  I guess if I was a bird I'd fall for one of those guys.

But what really caught my eye today were tree silhouettes.  I have always found trees in their bare form to be quite beautiful, and in a few weeks they will be re-robing themselves in new garb for the year.  I guess in a way the winter is like a long naked party for trees - one I'm happy to attend!

It started with this old friend that finally succumbed to the wind storm:

It used to have a lyre-like shape that was very picturesque.  I was sorry to see it go.
Here are some more - my photo essay for the day:

3 comments:

  1. NICE. I've been trying to capture trees also, lovely at this time of year in the morning. Our dog is crazed with outrage hearing the amorous (and noisy) raccoons at night and the likewise twitterpated squirrels chasing each other all over the yard...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am so glad you think the trees are beautiful. There are many people, even, here in Maine, who think the trees' nakedness is bleak and dreary. That surprised me since winter here is long. In Japan, there is a special phrase for the beauty of the barren tree, or the dried flower arrangement. As you may know, flower arrangement is an art there, and the celebration of the season in many art forms is inclusive of the flora especially. There is a grand elegance to the trees without their leaves. It is a pity more people don't seem to appreciate it.

    Your photos are lovely. Thank you for sharing them everyday. Am doing a catch up on your blogs, and sorry I missed some special days. The weekends are harder for me to get to the computer on my own time. Nonetheless, I love catching up.

    Tomorrow is Doll's Day in Japan..the day to celebrate our daughters, the daughters of the world.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics! Captures the whole space beautifully!

    And that cherry tree was going to bite the dust next summer anyway - - it has had firewood written all over it, even more so now!

    ReplyDelete