The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Sunday, March 7, 2010

julie and julia

sunrise:  6:02


Several people have remarked, since I started this sunrise year, that my project makes them think of the blog-turned-into-book-turned-into-movie Julie and Julia.  I did see the movie - about a blogger who takes a year to cook through every recipe in Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking," and I liked it.  Meryl Streep is nominated for best actress for her role as Julia Child, by the way.  She was amazing.

Although I can imagine that having seen the movie may have led to the germination of an idea, I know that when I was out skiing on December 29th, Julie and Julia was nowhere in my conscious thoughts.


I will say that taking on a project with a deadline, or a finish line, can be a terrific inspiration.  A neighbor of mine pledged to bag all 48 4000 foot peaks in the White Mountains before she turned 60.  She accomplished this close to a year ahead of schedule, even though she didn't even begin until her 50's.

And once you get started, especially if other people are paying attention, it gets more and more difficult to back out.  So you'd better be committed before you take the plunge.  Once you embark, one of the best parts is that, inevitably, unexpected benefits and new discoveries emerge along the way - people you meet, changes that evolve... you just never know.




So - speaking of movies....The 82nd Academy Awards will be on TV tonight.  Even though I haven't seen most of the nominated films, I still plan to watch.  It's one of my guilty pleasures.  Normally I scoff at all the glitz and superficiality of Hollywood, but it's one of those things that can be fun in small doses.

Plus -- I like seeing the more human side of many of these actors, who really are just working people hoping for a big raise, or at least recognition of their work.  They stumble, they laugh or cry, or forget that speech they had written somewhere, or pour out heartfelt thanks that are pretty moving (I can just hear my dad citing one of his favorite cynical phrases..."once you learn to fake sincerity, you've got it made."  But I'll imagine that I see REAL sincerity in these performers now and then).

It's a night that highlights many a happy success, which can't be all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment