The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

at home in the woods

sunrise:  6:18

Great dog news -- Clara and the mallard pair seem to be getting along.  So I'll keep up my hopes that they will nest here and we'll have babies!















I have mentioned my summer experiences at an Adirondack lake, but my woods connections didn't only come from there.  Behind my childhood home was a many acre wood - rock outcroppings, a long steep hill, nooks to hide in and create imaginary adventures amongst snow or leaves or moss.  One particular friend and I spent hours adventuring as international spies or wilderness survivalists out there.

And I had another spot that was my own private place - high up in a monstrous white pine that had a natural platform where four huge branches diverged.  It was my "silver chamber," so named because of how the light of sunset sparkled on bristly clusters of wet pine boughs surrounding me.

I know that my attraction to the woods comes from those childhood years.  This little spot out back appealed to me this morning.  I love birch trees - and this appeared particularly white today.  It reminded me of a ballerina doing a split.  Trees work so tenaciously to find a foot hold on any ground, and this one had a long rock to work around.

Writing about Rachel Field's childhood in western Massachusetts makes me feel close to her because of my outdoor connections, and tromping around the woods on her island, and mine, does the same.  I hope my children will carry something like that with them into their adult years as well.


Birch, rock, moss and leaves.  Something about all of it gives me peace inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment