The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Monday, January 4, 2010

transitions

sunrise: 7:13, back home again

Still catching my breath after breaking trail for half an hour in 15 inches of wet snow. The up side is that the dogs are worn out too, and quiet.

My last resident teenager was back to school this morning, pleasantly surprised to have human company before her departure. She occasionally happens to overlap with Dad on the way to work, but for some time I have opted out of the early morning routine. I figure she has to learn to get herself going pretty soon, she might as well start young while she has some backup.

I do commit to staying up late with my daughter (almost always), so she doesn't have to face the homework grind in a solitary midnight gloom . Even though there are moments when I think longingly of sleep, I feel fortunate that my company is welcome. After all the trepidation I felt about the dreaded "teen years," I found living with adolescents incredibly dynamic and exciting, and I'm truly going to miss it. There is a passion for life, exhilaration of discovery, intensity of grief that pervades the teen years. It is enormously invigorating to live with constant reminders of how dramatic and powerful it is, this experience called life.

It is especially poignant to me during this last round. As my youngest makes the transition into those lively years of hormonal ebb and flow, I am making my transition out of it. There is something peaceful about leaving it behind. It is nice not to feel quite so UNDONE by everything. But there is also a wistful sense of nostalgia for those depths of feeling. I can still find them, but it takes more of a conscious effort.

Also, I could do without that feeling that I'm being inexplicably microwaved several times a day.

3 comments:

  1. For the purposes of commenting occasionally on your enlightening blog, I have taken on a new and more convenient identity. It is reassuring (usually) to read the words of one who has successfully navigated four adolescences as a parent. Thank you for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are welcome - and thank you for your comments. Every sign of support helps me get out of bed in the morning!

    ReplyDelete