The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Sunday, January 17, 2010

biophilia

sunrise: 7:08

today's sky show was all about pre-dawn, more than dawn itself:

...when the sun actually showed itself, it was rather subdued and unobtrusive:
I like developing this familiar relationship with sunrise.  My newly developed associations with the outdoors made a passage in the book I'm reading catch my eye.  It's The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner (very entertaining so far).  He introduced me to a new word, though it's not a new concept - biophilia.  Literally "the love of life" or of living systems, biophilia suggests that there is an instinctive, biologically based connection between human beings and all other living things on the planet.

A lovely idea.  But I'll take it even further, because I don't suppose that the sky and all of its various atmospheric and meteorological phenomena are considered living systems.  I do feel that human beings are far more woven into the interplays of the natural world - living and non-living - than we realize.

I have been a spiritual explorer for much of my life.  Though I love to talk about religion, I hesitate to talk too much about God, since that human, English word has so many different meanings to so many people.  I believe deeply in the concept of a divine, spiritual center that is accessible to humans, and beneficial.  Many of those moments in my life when I have felt closest to that divinity have been on mountaintops, or standing at the edge of the sea, or on a frozen lake, or watching the sun rise, or set.

Someone once told me that "tree-hugging" wasn't just a sarcastic term for those crazy nature hippies; hugging a tree really makes you feel grounded, connected to the earth and living systems.  I tried it out in the back yard the other day, but before I could feel my connection to the earth a dog jumped on me.  They get worried when I do strange things.

In any case, Edward O. Wilson's (the man who proposed the biophilia hypothesis) theories may be controversial, but I am a believer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment