The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

reacquaintance with the moon

sunrise:  7:11


I experienced snowshoe freedom today!  Without new snow for a week, my skis have lain idle and I've been hobbling around rutted frozen tracks in boots.  I haven't found much success with snowshoes in the past, but tried again today and was very happy with the freedom to wander the fields at will.

It's amazing how a small thing can offer such a new perspective.  In general, I have been surprised at how much enjoyment and differing perspective these morning walks are giving me.  My obliviousness to the constantly shifting, myriad cycles of the natural world was profound.  I am becoming reacquainted with the moon, the sun, and the air, all of which look and feel distinctly original each day.

I get it in my head that I can figure out where I will see a certain view of the sun at a certain time each day.  But of course, the sun rises at a different time and in a different place every day (not to mention variations in weather and cloud cover).  The moon's cycles are even more complicated.  I learned on Wikipedia's lunar phase page that the moon in this picture (that kept me company four days ago) was a waning crescent moon.  I also learned that the only time you see a waning crescent moon is pre-dawn and sunrise.  The only moons I will ever see at that hour, in fact, are the waning crescent, waning gibbous, or the full moon, about to set.  Who knew?


I can imagine how one might become obsessed with the geometric and mathematical patterns of astrological data, but that might take away from some of the spontaneity of my daily excursions.  I'll content myself to be happily surprised by this lovely lunar companion whenever it happens to show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment