The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

the last leaf

sunrise:  6:26

I had an email from daughter T this morning, written at 3am.  Given the Thursday holiday, and light schedule Friday, she's coming home to visit.  In spite of a headache I seem to have a smile on my face.   2 1/2 months is far and away the longest she's ever been away from home.


We Mainers have had enough of this gray gloom in the sky.  I guess it's the dregs of a hurricane, and we should be grateful it's only the dregs.  Word has it that we'll be clearing later today...  T and clear skies will be arriving together.



The last few leaves are hanging on tenaciously to oak branches at the edge of the woods.  While I watched, a few drifted down in their circuitous paths through the air for their final journey to a resting place on the earth.


I was reminded of a wonderful, poignant short story by O. Henry called "The Last Leaf."  Believe it or not, the whole story is right there at the link.  You should read it, if you never have before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment