The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

uprootedness

sunrise :  6: 47

For those who are paying attention, you'll will have noticed the incongruent jumps in sunrise times at the top of my posts.  That's what happens when I travel, even short distances. 


Sunrise in Boston today was officially 6:54.


In Middlebury VT it was 7:04.


And here in Hampden, Maine it was 6:47.



In fact, when you think of it, the sun is constantly in a state of rising somewhere.  And so are we, getting up to meet the day, somewhere on the Earth.

Nice to be home.  Since September 25th, the last 18 mornings, I have changed location 13 times.  On the one hand it has kept me preoccupied, entertained, busy with activity and logistics.  On the other hand, I will be happy to sit still for a while, even if it means some lonely moments in this empty nest. 

These morning walks and contemplations have been extraordinarily useful as a thread of peaceful consistency amidst the uprootedness.




My dad used to travel a lot when I was a kid.  A week here, a few days there, breakfast in one city, dinner in another.  Home - away - overseas - home - back in the race.  Some thrive on it, as I think he did.  I don't know how long I would last without some down time.

Frost was present in sizable patches over the grass today.  There is an icy chill to the mist that hovers over the pond; the cattails are running to seed.  Our three dogs were thrilled to be home (though really, it's hard to distinguish from their every day thrill).

No comments:

Post a Comment