The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Sunday, October 3, 2010

finding the muse

sunrise: 6:38



Linekin Bay Resort has many points of beauty, no question.  It would be a wonderful place for a summer camp, that a young person would remember and cherish forever.


For me, though, it is lacking in something.  I couldn't really put my finger on it.  Then I came upon another sunrise walker this morning, another writer up and contemplating the pre-dawn sky.


She was at the last conference I attended in Deer Isle, at the Haystack Mountain School of Crafts.  I asked what she thought of the comparison between the two places.  She is a gentle person, and answered quietly but without hesitation that she preferred Haystack.

"Something about it made it easier to find the muse," she said, with a smile.


Finding the muse is such an elusive concept.  We don't always have the luxury of putting ourselves in the perfect place to discover her (I think of my muse as a female).  Sometimes, if you want to become a serious and more consistent writer, you need to develop a new relationship with the muse. 



You cannot always go where she is, so you have to learn to store her gifts in the cupboards of your heart, the attic of your mind, and the wardrobe of your soul.

Then you can carefully draw her forth, with some effort, when you need her inspiration. 



Sometimes, though, it is difficult to pry those muse doors open.  If you can find some of the places where the muse resides, be there with her more directly, creation comes more easily.  Her gifts surround your outside and spill out of storage on the inside.  You are sated, replete with a mused atmosphere.

But she is elusive and unpredictable, that muse.


*********

I have gathered a great deal to think about over the last week.  It will be nice to get home today, see my husband and my doggies, fold myself back into this new iteration of home family, rise in the morning with the prospect of my own back yard to explore again.  Lots of things to think about.




2 comments:

  1. The doggies feel likewise! (and the husband...)

    By the way, you can't find the muse because she's hanging out here with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I've heard she (the muse) really lets her hair down when she's here in beautiful Barnston-Ouest...doors wide open.

    ReplyDelete