The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Sunday, October 10, 2010

town dawn

sunrise:  6:52

10/10/10 Today’s date is especially relevant to numerologists and to yesterday’s 9-year-olds whose birthday falls on this day.




Another city dawn in Arlington, from the base camp of my sister and brother-in-law’s wonderfully appointed home. During transitional seasons like mid-autumn, the contrast as you travel north to south becomes so much more dramatic. Fall is only just beginning its artistry here.

S and K’s home is tucked into a little dell, so sunrise comes more as indirect signs than as a glowing orb cresting the horizon. Here is a pre-dawn western glow over Spy Pond…



Within a short walk is this fantastic rail trail that goes for miles – called the Minuteman Bikeway. I love to be able to step out the door and meander over to any number of coffee places and bakeries for breakfast supplies.

Three squirrels enjoying a sunrise romp in the red glow of the first rays of the day.


 
Like us, S and K and their son W have a huge field behind their house. Lucky for them, someone else does all the mowing. Here it is. It’s strange that as the sun rises, this field is waiting for the sunlight to descend from the heights of the trees to reach the grass.


 
City signs of dawn can be quite lovely, even without a view of the sun. Sometimes I worry that someone might think that I, with my camera, am some kind of peeping Tom, casing their home. But I liked the warm, homey feel of this dawn tipped gable and tree. I like to imagine being inside, seeing the October light dance over the walls from the warmth of my bed. Had to take a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment