The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Saturday, October 23, 2010

through rain and sleet and snow and sunrise...

sunrise:  7:07

I discovered a great resource for sunrise information this morning. 

We spent the night in Needham, Massachusetts after discovering that all of the hotels in Boston were filled up because of the head of the Charles event.  A great friend very generously offered us a bed in his Needham house in the suburbs, very last minute.



As I rounded the corner of a quiet side road onto main street this morning, I wondered where I might go for a sunrise view.  There was a US postal service van at the gas station on the corner, with a guy in uniform filling up. 

"Excuse me -- are you a postal guy?"  I asked.

"Uh...I am, but that's not a bad thing!" he said with smile.  I guess being called "postal" is something that mailmen are still sensitive about.

When I asked about sunrise he looked thoughtful and glanced across the street.  I hadn't noticed that the Needham post office was right there.





"Well, there are no hills right around here," he said as he walked out towards Main St., "but when we come out in the morning we see the light in the sky right down the street there."  He pointed toward a church steeple in the distance, at the end of a long, quaintly old fashioned New England Main St. 

"It's really beautiful sometimes...the way the clouds light up and the colors come."

I thanked him very much and started on my way, then he called out to me again. 


"Hey, if you look over there right now -- come over here and you can see -- some colors are just starting to show right now." 

Sure enough, he was right.  What a serendipitous meeting for me, to acquaint with this very appreciative fellow sunrise walker, maybe a whole fleet of them, who encounter beauty on their way out the door to do their work every day, and they notice it, and it sticks in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment