The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Sunday, April 25, 2010

sunrise on snake mountain road

sunrise:  5:53
Vermont

We're staying with a cousin of mine who inspires me in several ways:

First, Pete lives in a home with a killer view of the sunrise.

Second, he gets up between 3 and 5:00am every day, as a matter of course.  It is a humbling observation for someone in the midst of a one year challenge to see dawn every day - something I consider a difficult goal.  Next year, when I heave a sigh of relief and sleep again, gratefully, until 7 or 8 or 9:00 (or 10! sigh), he'll still be getting up to meet the first light of day.  No big deal.


The third inspiration is another humbling one.  My cousin is a writer.  A real writer who has published a couple of dozen books, travels around to do presentations, and has a terrific website.  He also teaches writing from time to time, and has been a mentor and cheerleader for me over the years.  Not only that, but the writing life he has carved out for himself feeds his passions - he travels all around the world with his camera on adventures of various sorts, and writes about his trips.  His work educates, entertains, and excites readers of all ages.

I was talking to someone recently about my writing - the blog, my online column, and the Rachel Field book.  I believe she meant this in a friendly way, but she said something to this effect:  "Oh, I see.  It's sort a writing hobby for fun."  The remark caught me short, because I feel this lurking anxiety from time to time that I am just a bored housewife looking for something to do. 

I truly want to take my writing seriously.  I want it to become what I do - but until I get paid on a regular basis, or get hired to do speaking engagements, or do assignments with deadlines that come from somewhere besides myself, it is hard to think of myself as a real writer.  And I suppose it's hard for others to see me that way too - especially if I present myself with all of the humility and uncertainty that I am wont to feel.


It is no wonder that Pete gets hired to teach and do presentations.  He is a dynamic, charismatic man with an effusive personality and lots of stories to tell.  At the same time, he has a very natural talent for drawing people out - shows a genuine interest in people and asks questions about their lives and motivations and worries.  I'm sure that is what enables him to capture the essence of the people and places he travels to on foot and in boats.  I feel lucky to have had him around now and then to give me a pep talk about my life as a writer - creeping along to a hopeful late life blossoming. 

Here is photo taken near Pete's home.  Even the road's name inspires poetic ideas of adventure.  I will refer to in the future when I forget to feel excitement about what I do. 

sunrise on Snake Mountain Rd.

1 comment:

  1. Did you think to ask about the name of the mountain (or the road)? I believe it probably refers to one of the very rare dens of Timber rattlesnakes to be found in Vermont. I am sure your cousin must know. Or perhaps it's just a popular haven for Garter snakes...

    ReplyDelete