The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

porcupine encounter(s)

sunrise:  5:31

I was enchanted by an encounter with a porcupine this morning.  No worries - he was safe from the dogs, high on a tree branch having a snooze.  It's an overcast, drippy day, so the sky didn't have a lot of photographic possibilities, so my porcupine friend offered a wonderful subject for today's post. 



A peaceful fellow.  At first I thought he might be part of the tree, but he was too perfectly rounded, and as I got closer the spines became more visible.  Then I thought he might be dead - but certainly not.  When my feet crackled the underbrush next to his tree he finally lifted his head a bit to look around, v-e-r-y slowly.




How lovely to live alongside these beasts of the earth, thought I. 

Then I heard Clara barking wildly in the distance.  Uh-oh.  Did she get across the electronic fence line?  and can't get back in?

Nope.



I guess there is more than one porcupine living in our backyard.  Of course before I found Clara, Kate had run to see what the fuss was about.  And I thought she had learned her lesson.



Nope.  Those little spines sticking out of their faces might look benign and minor, but they are not.  For a reminder of what it takes to get them out, see my previous porcupine post.

GUSTER!!! I shouted.  He kept running back to the dead pine where Porcupine two was still out carousing.  She should have been back in bed like her friend, safe in a tree.  I retrieved Guster - twice.  Then put him on a leash.  Then I paused briefly to take photos.  Idiot.  Guster was gone again, leash and all.  Fortunately he was still quill free, and did all kinds of celebratory rolls and twirls in the grass.  Was he gloating?  Who knows.

J had Kate at the vet for quill extraction just last week while T and I were away.  It is not a one-man job.  This is getting ridiculous. 



Porcupines are supposed to be nocturnal!  I thought my mornings were safe.

How lovely to live among these beasts of the earth.  Then again...maybe not.

Any tips from readers will be appreciated.  Keep in mind that the use of guns is not allowed in this part of town.  On dogs or porcupines.

2 comments:

  1. Good Morning, Robin! We told our friend about your dog-quill experiences and he recalled a Field and Stream article about getting them out. He said they recommended snipping them off, leaving a enough to grab onto later. Apparently the snipped quill then relaxes the hooked end inside the dog's muzzle and allows for a less traumatic removal of the remaining part. He has three dogs and several acres, as well. He seemed to speak from experience. Hope that helps!
    -Sally and Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very sorry I feel for the dogs.....but what a post! You certainly captured the moment for us, your readers.

    ReplyDelete