The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Americorps bound

sunrise:  6:07


This was one of those mornings when the promising light of pre-dawn out the window makes me rush to get outside.

A. called last night with great news - she was offered a job at her top choice Americorps program in Colorado, starting in the fall.  If you haven't heard of it, Americorps is similar to the Peace Corps, but all of its programs are within the US.  Volunteers spend a year teaching, working in clinics or doing community service work of some kind. 

I went to the website, which is mediocre at best, but the concept is terrific.  I found this "Americorps Pledge" on one page, which struck me as a wonderful mantra for young people moving into the world of adult responsibilities:

I will get things done for America -
to make our people safer,
smarter, and healthier.

I will bring Americans together
to strengthen our communities.

Faced with apathy,
I will take action.

Faced with conflict,
I will seek common ground.

Faced with adversity,
I will persevere.

I will carry this commitment
with me this year and beyond.

I am an AmeriCorps member,
and I will get things done.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for every 18 to 25 year old in the country to spend a year devoted to service.  What are we all here for, if not to help make the world a better place?  
I hope this turns out to be a valuable experience for my daughter and for everyone who crosses her path (I'm pretty confidant of the latter).

5 comments:

  1. The photo is truly prize worthy! Your sentiments and thoughts about Americorps were lovely. My children were schooled in England and almost all English kids take a "gap year" to do work such as this between finishing high school and going on to college. I hope your daughter is inspired by her experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I expect she will be. Thanks for writing--

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a wonderful picture. Here in Germany it is mandatory to either do community or military service for 8 up to 12 months.

    ReplyDelete