The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

dogless, sunless, listless

sunrise:  5:30

Another sunless dawn, but there are some nice silhouettes of spring trees.


Update on the porcupine predicament:  Several hundred dollars, two dog sedations, lots of follow up pharmaceuticals.   On the bright side, they are now both fully up to date on all of their shots and health checks.

I learned at the vet's office that the shortness of all those facial quills Kate and Clara were sprouting indicates that their nemesis was a baby porcupine.  Makes it even harder to consider eradicating them from our yard.

J was less sympathetic when I called him at the hospital to report the unfortunate event.  "But it's a baby!" I said on the phone after his grumbled remark about doing in the porcupines.  He was anticipating the veterinary bill and remembering our traumatic extraction scenes.  "Well it's going to be a dead baby when I'm done with it," he said.

I suggested that for a Pediatric Intensive Care doctor to say that out loud at work was a bad idea. 

***********

I took a dogless walk this morning.  Uneventful, but kind of missing a spark of life.  I don't mind walking without them when I'm away traveling, but it feels a little drab when I'm home, knowing they're hopefully looking at the door, wishing for an excursion.  The veterinarian suggested I should walk them all on leashes, but I just don't think I'm going to do that.  I'll probably take my chances.

This handsome mallard was the only animal company I had today.

2 comments:

  1. Hope they heal fast. Laughed reading what your spouse threatened!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the saga continues, as tomorrow's post may well attest...
    ...more quills ...more sedation ...more $$$.

    And all while R was writing her blog! Sneaky, eh?

    A loaded have-a-heart-trap now sits at the base of the famed "porcupine tree".

    But will I have a heart?

    ReplyDelete