The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Friday, August 6, 2010

tents of gauze, above and below

sunrise:  5:27

I thought all I would do this morning was pout and talk about my hurt back.  All of my dutiful stretching and core strengthening held off injury for 10 months - a pretty good record for me - but yesterday in an idiotic rush I yanked a 44 pound dog food bag out of a trunk.  Snap.



But - today was unusual and beautiful outdoors.  Even as I limped gingerly around the trails, I was enthralled by a magic kingdom of spidery construction.



The shorter grass has low, nomad style tents of gauzy fabric that undulates when the dogs run by.  Taller grass allows for some interesting peaked rooftops - a variation on the tent theme.  Then there are the traditional webs, drooping under the weight of the morning dew, but no less impressive in their architectural beauty.





Who could not be impressed?  And if they reduce the biting fly population, I will not object.



By the time I finished a loop around our mown trails I was draped with the spiders' handiwork - strands of the finest filament guy-wires that traverse the path everywhere.  I felt like I might look like some kind of web-strewn corpse bride, especially given my tentative, lurching gait.



And the fog.  Photographing the sun felt like photographing the moon this morning, the cloud cover was just so.  It was an eerie sun, not like itself today.  There was a hint of clear sky in the milky heights, but no way to see it through the thick gauzy cloud cover.  It occurred to me that I was looking up through a strange foggy tent just like the spider tents, only bigger and even less substantial.



And there was this tree.  It took me completely by surprise.  Here we are just starting August, and this one little tree is in full fall regalia, all of a sudden.  When did that happen?  The year is already
beginning its wane, and here is a harbinger of departures.



Then - this flower.  As fresh as any spring bloom, it found its way through a crack in the driveway, asserting its beauty and determination to attract.



No time for self pity.  There is too much to think about.

2 comments:

  1. I am curious. Did the lurching corpse bride climb back into bed with her zombie husband?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - - keep it clean - - this blog has been GP ever since the brief PG-13 "naked party" string and we want to keep it that way...! :)

    ReplyDelete