The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Friday, May 14, 2010

anticipation-seize the beauty

sunrise:  5:08


I am beginning to feel like a connoisseur of sunrise.  I rushed through my morning stretches this morning when I looked out the window and saw the beginning of a fuchsia glow along the horizon.  Ah!  It's one of those today.  A morning of a fluorescent pre-dawn followed by a quietly muted sunrise.  The deep color doesn't last long.

Every dawn has its lessons.  Maybe this one says something about showing up on time - because sometimes the best part comes early, and may not last long.  Or maybe it is that anticipation can sometimes be even better than a long awaited event.  Enjoy anticipation.  Don't hurry through it - live it as fully as any time of life, because it may be the best part.

Anticipation can go the other way too; it's a tricky customer.  I've had bouts of such worry over what life will be when this most fulfilling occupation I have enjoyed for 23 years is over.  Yesterday I ran into a friend whose nest emptied a couple of years ago.  "You'll love it!" she said with a smile.  It was good to hear someone say that.  I've heard it before, but never quite so succinctly.  The anticipation is far worse than the reality.

So - anticipation of joy is something to be embraced and unhurried...seize the beauty of the moment.  Anticipation of sorrow should be taken with a grain of salt.  Don't waste time fretting early, when there may be nothing to fret about at all...seize the beauty of the moment.

Oh.  They're the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment