The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Monday, May 17, 2010

alone at the grocery store

sunrise:  5:05


I happened to be at the grocery store yesterday at the same time as my neighbor and her two children.  The first thing that caught my attention was an intent stare from her little girl, about 4 years old, who knew me even though I was out of context.  It was a happy look of shy recognition.  There is nothing like that look in older people.  It was inordinately flattering, somehow, to be received in that delighted way by a shining young face.
           
I went along on my shopping way, leaving my neighbor chatting happily with her kids as they looked at produce.  Suddenly I had a wave of nostalgic knots in my stomach.  I remember sharing every mundane moment of my daily life with a whole crowd of little people who looked at me with shining young faces -- laundry, cooking, getting dressed in the morning, and loading up the car for an errand which generally became a major outing for the day.
Yes, it was trying at times.  At a lot of times.  Those were days when one of the biggest treats I looked forward to was going to the grocery store---all alone!  What bliss.  What peace.  How clean and organized everything looks. sigh

And here I am today going to the grocery store on my own, no longer a novelty.  It’s still nice, actually.  But…it’s not a shining adventure of discovery, or an exercise in patience and denial, or a sprinting search for a wayward wanderer.  No little hands to hold or questions to answer.

There is time, as I browse this week's specials, to complete a few thoughts, to count my blessings, to walk leisurely down the snack food aisle in silence, if I want to.  Life is good.  And it sure was good then, too.
 
***************
Critter update:

No new porcupines.  First skunk encounter last night - Guster's loose privileges have been revoked.


3 comments:

  1. What I love about your blog is that you describe to a T "Mother" experiences. I remember well the feeling of getting to go ALONE to the grocery store when the children were little. I miss that now and really love your descriptive writing of this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderfully evocative, even for someone who has never been a mother. What great moments to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just feeling the same way this weekend as my German neighbor's two kids (four year old girl and two year old boy) followed me all around the yard asking me about the flowers and the veggies I was planting and the little grey bird following me. I get my fix of little kids when I teach Sunday School, but it definitely reminds me of the happy early days of our family life. I am not being nostalgic: I really was happy at home, and loved looking after babies and young kids. Things less pleasant now...

    ReplyDelete