The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

katahdin: day 1, chimney pond

 September 27 post



sunrise:  6:26



Here is a touch of sunrise, as much as I could see from down in this mountain basin.



For this special occasion, I'll break tradition a bit and include some pictures from yesterday's hike and evening. 



Funny that the nearest I came to sleeping through the sunrise this year came when I was sleeping outdoors.  It was a fitful night, full of numerous attempts to find a comfortable position on the wooden floor of this big leanto at Chimney Pond, at the foot of Mt. Katahdin.  My head was so chilly in the breeze that I finally just buried my whole self in my sleeping bag.  If J hadn't woken me up I'd still be there.

Not sure if I should be thanking him or not...



photo courtesy of J.

Only 3.3 miles up to this campsite last night, but with heavy loads.  This little fellow danced around me for five minutes, but was almost too quick to catch on camera.  I must have been standing on something he wanted to get to.  In any case, he provided a good excuse for a rest.






Eighteen people around a boisterous table in the big bunkhouse made for a very animated evening.  Curried chicken, endless bottles of Italian wine, votive candles strewn across the long, white draped tabletop, apple cake -- all contributed to the amiable atmosphere. This group does no skimping when it comes to camping. 




We'll see how my back fares today.  The lighter pack will help - only a day pack needed for the summit hike.  Fall colors inspire.  A dear friend and a terrific cousin add extra great company.







Carpe diem.

No comments:

Post a Comment