The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Saturday, June 26, 2010

illusion of a rescue

sunrise:  4:51



For the second time in a week I had to rescue an animal from my little dog pack.  Ugh!  This time it was a neighborhood cat.  I've seen her before, but have no idea where she lives (calico cats are all female, right?).  Once I dragged the mighty hunters indoors, I went back to check on the cat, who had disappeared.  I hope she's okay.  While I wait for my heart rate to slow down, I'll load my pictures for today...

**********



Here is another rescue story from my cousin's blog.  He is usually a political blogger (with a more conservative take than mine), so this show of compassion for a dragonfly was a standout for me.

**********



Take note that the latest sunset of the year is this evening (several days after solstice).  So after tonight - the days are getting shorter, the sunrises later, and the sunsets earlier.  It doesn't feel right, does it?  The summer is only just beginning and we have already begun the slow descent of daylight towards the darkness of December.



There's no rescue for a decaying year.  Its descent is as inevitable as the daily rising of the sun (which won't go on forever either, but from our human evolutionary perspective, we can consider it inevitable).  Every rescue, in fact, is an illusion of sorts.  Dragonflies, cats, fawns, people...  We do not really save anyone or anything, we only facilitate the delay of a final endpoint, that place where every creature on Earth is headed.

But the illusion is a worthy one - and wonderfully uplifting.

That's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment