The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

happy morning

sunrise:  5:04


Today was an especially celebratory morning for birds.  I could relate.  It was one of those days when clear light fills the sky with elevating majesty.  If I weren't worried about waking up the neighbors, I might have burst into song myself.

It is no use trying to capture it on film; this morning glory could not fit into a box.  Even so, I will ask suggestions of my photographer readers:  Is there any way to get the lovely shades of color in the sky without losing the land into darkness?  I get black land or white sky, and cannot capture both in their natural light at the same time.



The edges of the fields are covered with trees in various stages of bloom.  Aromatic eddies of air capture your nose as you walk, sometimes stopping you in your tracks with their tantalizing suggestiveness.  You cannot help but close your eyes and take in a deep, scent-filled breath. 

























The dogs are happy since I have cautiously allowed them off leash once I have established that the fields are harboring no tantalizing scent of the dog-crazing, mammalian nuisance kind. 







Of course Kate is never off leash, if you consider that stick her most effective control.


Clara is about to pounce, ready to chase Kate in circles.

Kate tenaciously guards her stick, but all Clara really wants is an excuse to run, and to bite Kate's tail.

3 comments:

  1. hahaha what a great final picture. Made me actually "laugh out loud". As far as the photo question goes, I *think* you need a tripod, a long shutter speed and a very small aperture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Hawthorn blossoms. Our place is also bird heaven these days. I have, at the very least, five bird box nests (three tree swallow, one bluebird, one house wren) and three natural nests (chickadee, barn swallow, phoebe)...to say nothing of all the starlings that are nesting in the eaves of our barn. I am sure there are also robin, mourning dove, common grackle, bobolink and unspecified sparrow nests based on breeding behaviors. And all of them are singing and flying around in the morning. Much as I enjoy my chickens, ducks and geese, the native bird symphony is the best part of every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carl - I really need you here to tell me who all of our bird residents are, and that my blossoms are hawthorns! There were a couple of new birds yesterday - one in the pond reeds with bright black and white highlights, another with a chaotic freelance song style (whimsical from outdoors, jarring if you're trying to sleep in the morning). It also had a long thin beak, and pecked at a tree.

    ReplyDelete