The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Victoria's Secret

sunrise:  7:12 a rather monochromatic morning

I'm not much of a shopper, but I had to spend some time at the mall the other day while I waited for adjustments to my new progressive lenses.  That was the first of my age reminders for the day.

To kill time, I wandered the mall, and noticed that there was a bra sale at Victoria's Secret.  When you're pushing 50, you're inclined to think that whatever Victoria's secret is, you're not going to find out.  But I have a love/hate relationship with complacency, so I fought the urge to say "you're too old for this," and joined the fray at the bargain bin.

Starting with pregnancy, many women have to either learn to accept the limitations of their changing bodies or be miserable.  It puts us in good shape for those later years when our bodies are changing in more permanent ways, and we have to learn to live with those too.

Complacency can be a good thing, but only within reason.  I have found myself getting prematurely complacent about certain limitations, perhaps as a defense mechanism against discouragement.  I have to remind myself not to be too quick to say, "Ah, well, those days are over."  Life as a middle-aged woman can still be athletic, busy, enriching, sexy, and new.  It's just different, and sometimes takes more work, or creativity, or patience.  You can't compare your body to that of the 22 year-old who's measuring you at Victoria's Secret, or the frightening poster women with their smoldering looks.  Besides, you've already had a 22 year old body.  Been there, done that.  And you can still make the best of your body and the rest of you by engaging that brilliant perspective and well-rounded intellect.  Make the most of what you have!  (I chant to myself)  You've still got it, plus a lot more wisdom, emotional depth, and experience to enhance everything you do.  And it's never too late to try something new, learn something new, or tackle a new challenge.  There's a lot more to mature women than how they wear a bra.  But don't tell Victoria.  It's a secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment