The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

10,000 flushes

sunrsie:  6:22



I got an email of commiseration and support from a friend last night, since she knew that yesterday I would be going through the dreaded day-before preparation for a colonoscopy.  I have hit 50, and decided to get it over with right away.

"Hope you are tolerating this rite of passage," she wrote.

"Ugh!" was my succinct response.

Some thoughts for the creative minds on Madison Ave:

  • 10,000 flushes was a catchy name for a bathroom cleaner back in the 1960's.  I couldn't stop thinking about it last night.  That should be what they call the colonoscopy preparation procedure.

  • "GoLytely", the laxative used in the prep, is inappropriately named.  Talk about understatement. A better name would be 10,000 flushes.

  • That jingle for adult diapers -- "Get back into life, with Depends!" -- is another good one.  You may well find that your product jingle gets stuck in every 50+ year old's head at 3:00 in the morning, preceding their colonoscopy.  




I will get no more explicit than that.  One last reflection of the day -  I deeply admire Katie Couric for her brave airing on live television of her colonoscopy procedure in 2002.  Apparently there was a huge jump in screenings and a measurable drop in the incidence of deaths from colon cancer over the ensuing two years, that was known as "the Couric effect."

I notice, however, that there was no coverage of Couric's preparation the night before.  I guess there are some things that are best left unaired.

No comments:

Post a Comment