The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Saturday, July 17, 2010

warm lake mornings

sunrise: 5:29  (July 16)




The last few days have been a convincing illustration of global climate change in my book. Never in my memory have I spent days on end with this kind of heat on a mountain lake in the Adirondacks. No covers at night, full fan. Out on the water, little zephyrs of warm air waft over me off the lake’s surface. Swimming hardly cools you off; the lake is so heated up by the last few weeks of record high temperatures.



Then again – I heard about a record 108 degrees in New York City. So I should count my blessings.



I have yet to see the sun breach the horizon up here, so I’m not even sure yet how long after official sunrise it should appear. Though we’ve had spotty sun during the day, the morning’s eastern horizon is always obscured by cloud.


These early mornings are a very lovely hour to be out on the water. As at home, dawn is prime time for bird song. The lake is quiet – no motorboats, no water-skiers, only a few quiet water fowl and lots of water bugs. The surface was so still today that I saw three fish jump and leave their splash rings in widening circles.



Dogs have been a problem. I love my furry friends, but they are cause for all kinds of difficulties. I thought we had a good routine in place at last, but Clara ran off during our walk this morning…I’m starting to worry.



Perhaps we feel a subconscious need to fill our house with bedlam. As the kids go off, we replace them with dogs. This has got to stop!

1 comment:

  1. By contrast, the summer in TX has been cooler than usual. Last year we had nearly three months of 100 degree weather. I don't believe it has hit 100 yet, and an awful lot of highs in the low 90s.

    ReplyDelete