The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Monday, July 19, 2010

kayak contemplations

July 18th post

sunrise:  5:31





I have bonded with this little LL Bean kayak that I’ve been using for my morning jaunts onto the lake. It is as stable as a canoe, has a wonderfully padded back so I feel like I’m paddling in a lounge chair, and zips right along wherever I ask it to go. I have always been a staunch canoe advocate, but this little craft has changed my views entirely.




The best part about paddling is that you have access to every part of a lake or pond - little nooks under the trees, shoreline dotted with semi-submerged logs, shallows strewn with lily-pads. And it’s all so quiet. You really can feel like a part of the scene - until, of course, you start fumbling with a camera that sounds its electronic beep into the silence.






The sky put on a terrific display this morning. The hardest part of posting on days like these is choosing which photos to leave out. It may feel like I’m overloading the blog with pictures, but when I post 12 photos, I have often chosen them out of about 40 to 60. I often think about that caution that J gave me about not being too much of a slave to the camera. Easier said than done.





Textures are what captivated me about the landscape today. The water has so many different textures. Even at one time the lake is ruffled in some parts, glass in others, and its ruffled form has so many versions and degrees. Water texture, pine tree silhouettes, cloud banks, distant hillsides – layers and layers of varying texture fill my vision.






Such is the state of being. Love, family, relationships, conflict, growth, transition, aging, youthful energy, contemplation, exuberance, rebellion, embracing, athleticism, idleness, intensity, serenity, sleep…life is a many-textured thing.





No comments:

Post a Comment