The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Monday, June 14, 2010

the scent of love

sunrise: 4:49

Another gray dawn, which promises to bring the rain that held off all day yesterday.  Graduation day was perfect - gorgeous weather, houseful of wonderful, caring friends and family for graduation day breakfast, happy event.

There really wasn't time for sentiment.  Then - everybody was gone.

A, R, and N left for home in Connecticut.  T flew in a flurry to "project grad," an all night, chem free event for the graduates.  Mom and Dad said their good byes and went on their way.  J and I and my mother-in-law had a quiet house to ourselves.

This morning I went to do my morning exercise routine in A's room as usual.  I stretched out on her tousled sheets and was flooded by the familiar scent of my eldest daughter.  Almost too distracting to get through those torso twists.  I had just been similarly struck by the scent of a loved one when I went to retrieve something from my parents' car.  I opened the door and there I was, immersed in reminiscence of my mother.

Some might find it weird that I talk about how people smell.  But just like any animal, each human has their own aroma - some better, some worse, some potent, some faint.  Most of us have noticed it though - when we borrow someone's sweatshirt and pull it over our heads, or step into their closet, or open their suitcase.  And who hasn't buried their nose against the silky hair of a baby?

A lot of the time we notice it subliminally.  It puts thoughts in our heads, but we don't even realize that it has happened.  Suddenly we're filled with the warm glow of feeling loved, or of loving, or of longing for something gone by.

***************

The blackbirds were at their usual posts - warning me away from their nest.  And I got my closest view yet of the beautiful bobolink, trying to lure me away from his nest in the fields.  Their birdish efforts to protect their young felt particularly poignant to me this morning.  I honor their efforts.  It is a worthy occupation.  My own young are fledged, I want to tell them.  It's worth all the trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment