The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

18th birthday

sunrise: 4:52
18 years old today.

T had to be at the school by 5:15, so I enjoyed her company on a sunrise walk.  Unfortunately I often seem to have company on dreary sky days, but she was in high spirits nonetheless.

It's strange how difficult it can be to write about someone who is close to you on a daily basis.  Sometimes I feel like T is so intertwined in my life that I can't really imagine what I'll be missing when she's gone. 

We laugh at the same foolish things, sometimes before they're even spoken, quote the same lines from movies and burst into snippets of song with shared recognition, often to the bafflement of anyone else in the room. 

And we get annoyed with each other, no question.  But T so hates to have conflict in the air that it usually gets resolved pretty quickly.  This is the little girl who started saying "I love you" out loud at at about age 5, when no one else in the family was in the practice, and hasn't stopped ever since.  This is the baby who at less than a year old gave you gentle pats on the back as you held her in your arms.

She has a loving, joyful nature that has been somewhat stifled by adolescence.  It is a long process of advance and retreat, risk and recovery, opening up and hiding away.   I rejoice as I watch her reemerging into full bloom. 

2 comments:

  1. Whoo hoo!!! Great pics of T!!

    how come I didn't get a birthday post all about me? huh? huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you not read March 8th?

    ReplyDelete