The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Monday, February 15, 2010

unexpected treasures

sunrise:  7:26 !!

Here in Canada it appears that I got an extra hour of sleep this morning, but it's just time and distance and human construct playing tricks on me again.

Lethargic morning.  I stumbled outside into the parking lot of a motel in Sackville, fully expecting to make it a brief stint outside to look at the cloudy sky over the high way...
Then I walked around the corner, just for a second, and found a trail in the snow that I thought I'd follow for a minute.  Turned out to be the beginning of an extensive snowmobile system.  It got quiet; Canadian chickadees and crows sang their familiar songs from the bracken (but no wee-zee song today.  I must have been too intimidating).  Still no sun, but it was actually pretty nice -



So I had a helpful reminder of two things: 1. Never give up on the possibiltiy of finding something lovely even in unexpected places. 2. Always wear appropriate shoes.

************************************

A loving nod to my Valentine, to whom I could only send electronic affection yesterday.  I do share the cynical outlook of many on Hallmark-ified holidays like Valentines Day.  On the other hand, when is it ever wrong to tell someone how much you love them?  If a commercial ploy happens to inspire one to write a poem, or give a gift, or send warm greetings, it can't be all bad. 

We're headed towards our 27th year of marriage - a respectable run, and anyone who tells you it's easy is either a simpleton or has a selective memory.  I experience regular bouts of amazement that I am about to see that goofy college boy I met in the 80's turn 50 years old (and he's still pretty goofy).

***************************************
and speaking of chocolate... (I know, I wasn't, but now I am)

T. and I were given a heads up to visit this chocolate place in Lubec, Maine - a tiny little town at the easternmost point of the US.  Monica's Chocolates is going to be the subject of one of my next examiner.com articles.  Lubec, Maine has an exquisite home shop filled with Peruvian handmade chocolate, and other Peruvian paraphernalia.  We had her last two coffee truffles of the day, and I'm salivating until I can order more on line.  The world is full of unexpected treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment