The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Monday, July 12, 2010

at home and on the road

sunrise:  5:01

Finally a bit of blue sky to greet the dawn.  



For those of you who follow regularly, take note:  For the next two weeks I will have spotty or even no internet connection.  I'll still be writing sunrise posts every morning, but they may accumulate on my desktop until I can get to a place where I can find a signal.



It's good to shake oneself out of routine now and then by traveling away from home.  This trip hardly counts, since I'm traveling to a home away from home that I have known my entire life, but still, it's away from my own kitchen, my piles of mail, my computer room, my perpetual to-do lists, my broken washing machine.



There have been periods in my life when I have ached to travel, get away, see the world, explore the new.  Other times I want nothing more than to be in my own home, in my own comfortable space with everything that is familiar to me.  Some people seem to be all one way or the other.

I had a neighbor in Rochester, NY once who had never been more than about 80 miles from home, and lived next door to family.  She aspired to nothing more than that for her future or for her own son - that he move in next door, perhaps, into his grandparents' home, after they have passed away.


 

Then there was this boat captain I met 25 years ago.  He took J and me and two other couples in a 44 foot boat on a Virgin Islands trip that we won in a fundraiser auction.  He owned a boat of his own, which was his home.  He loved it because he could take his home with him anywhere he wanted to go.  "I can't imagine waking up with the same view out the window every day."



I love roots and consistency, but I squirm at the tyranny of routine.  Once in a while we have to get away, or at least rearrange the furniture.  So I guess I fall squarely in between those two extremes.


It will be nice to leave for a while, so that I may have the pleasure of returning to my lovely home.



*************

By the way - here is a really funny blog - hyperbole and a half

No comments:

Post a Comment