The Year is Complete!

Please feel free to look back through the 365 days of 2010 sunrises, but "a year of getting up to meet the day" is officially completed. There will be no more new posts.

PLEASE JOIN ME FOR MORE SUNRISE POSTS AT THE SUNRISE BLOGGER, WHERE YOU WILL FIND SUNRISE PHOTOS AND REFLECTIONS FROM ME AND FROM CONTRIBUTORS AROUND THE GLOBE.


Thank you so much for visiting.
A one year blog project in which I share a process of transitions: emptying of the nest, reacquainting with my rusty intellect, plowing onward with my first full length book, entering the second half of my first century, and generally reflecting on life.

(see Dec. 29th, 2009 entry for further explanation)

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

near blue moon

Since the weather is full of alarm over two impending storms that will "make a mess of the northeast," I suspect that the rising moon I observed as the day was ending is the closest that I'll come to seeing the blue moon that is due tomorrow. Tonight's was a beauty.

It is not uncommon for me to be out at the end of the day, as the evening light layers into pastels behind the bare branches of trees bordering my yard (often because I want to get the goats fed before dark). It is a time of daily, quiet transition that always gives me pause. I'm looking forward to acquainting myself with the other end of the day.

I'm also looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow for the last time...

Here's a little poem about this project. I like the rhythm of the phrase, so it called for elaboration.

A Year of Getting Up to Meet the Day

A stagnant sense of stall was in my way.
I vainly searched for things to do and say.
The sight of hibernating trees,
the jolt of late December’s breeze,
gave brusque reply to inner pleas,
laid out a task to end ennuis:
a year of getting up to meet the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment